Friday, June 28, 2013

The "how" matters

"Today we don't need just technology innovators. We need behavior pioneers who innovate in HOW. One day, not too far in the future, everyone on the planet will be connected by technology. The more that happens, the more the only differentiator will be the quality and depth of your humanity- how you connect with and inspire other humans. When everyone has a smart phone, all that matters is the human content of the conversation not that you have a phone and I don't." Dov Seidman "how Why HOW We Eo Anything Means Everything"

I work for Providence Maternal Care Clinicwhich happens to be an amazing group of women who have until last March not had the "connection" of technology to get in the way of the human element in medical care. Yes I mean to say we were using paper charts!!! But this is no longer true so now as we have enterened the 21st century and are cumbered by computers in our exam rooms what sets us apart? I can honestly say that my entire clinic puts heart and soul into caring for our patients. We do not have any unimportant positions and each person who works there has direct contact with people who are in the process of growing a new life. We take this privilage to heart.

I am reading the book quoted above and hear my heart singing Yes, Yes, Yes these words go along with my personal values. They speack to the way I have lived my life and worked my jobs. Now I am in an enviornment that empowers me to make the personal connection. Midwifery Care is this unique place where humanity reigns, where patients are met where they are and embraced. Where when a woman is strugling to care for herself and consquencly her baby we ask "what is the barrior?" This may seem small but really this is huge. When a provider can come along side a woman and not judge, believeing that this woman wants to do the best she can for her baby but that there must be a BARRIER not a moral defect... This is amazing and this is why I love where I am and plan to stay for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment